Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Beginning the Secret Quilt

   
 So I have a quilt to make.  A secret quilt.  I went looking through a wonderful book called 500 Art Quilts for ideas and inspiration. (I love this book...everytime I look through it I see something new.) I saw a beautiful piece of an old rusty hinge on a barn door with small leafy plants by Vita Marie Lovett. It was thread painted! I do love free motion quilting, but that is not a level I could pull off in any good way at this point. Keep looking.
I saw several of beautiful autumn leaves flying around and that felt like the right direction to go in.
And then I saw a project by Fiona Hammond: It was a flurry of applique leaves flying upwards around a Celtic knot.  Ah ha.
So last week I went to the Quilt Junction my Step-Mom and I found a perfect pack of fat quarters of black, grays, whites and taupes to sew into a simple grid of squares...size as yet undecided. All I need now are some fabulous colours for a swoosh of appliqué leaves. When I laid some bright FQs on the grays, the whole thing just popped and looked so dramatic. I'm deciding if I should put any sashing between the squares.  But, hoo ya, it's aaaall coming together.
 
Celtic Inspirations by Fiona Hammond

   

Sketch

Foundation